We got our first science flight in yesterday, flying north of Svalbard across the edge of the sea ice. At low level the air was fairly clear over open water, but a radiation fog over the ice prevented the aircraft from descending below 500ft.
There were several thick decks of cloud above however, and we worked in those after doing as much as possible at low level.
As I write the aircraft is back up in the same area conducting our second science flight. Take off was delayed by fog at the airport this morning – it’s still hanging around in the fjord, and washing up against the end of the runway. I’m on watch to call the aircraft if conditions deteriorate at all and they need to come back early.
Click here for more on the ACCACIA blog.
Image credits: Dr Ian Brooks.